Thursday, October 18, 2007

So it's been a while and I actually have an excuse!

So it's been a while since I've done some blogging and I actually have a legitimate excuse - 2 surgeries! On September 24, 2007 I had my surgery on both of my eyes to fix the drooping eyelids from the Kearns Sayre Syndrome! I would have to say that it was somewhat a traumatic experience with doing both eyes at the same time - if I ever have to do it again, I'll do one at a time if possible! I was very fortunate to have my parents, my grandparents and my sister and brother-in-law come to help me out during the week and week-end! After the first surgery my mom took Will out to pick out some flowers for "my momma" and here is a picture of them:



The light sensitivity was awful and only began to start clearing up a week and a half after the surgery (a Wednesday)....in the mean time I went back to work even with the sensitivity (looking back on it all now I realize this probably wasn't a great idea!). When that Wednesday night came along where things started getting much better for me, I became very excited and couldn't wait until the next day to see what it would hold for me! What I awoke to the next morning was not what I expected - my right eyelid was almost totally closed - I waited around a little while that morning in hopes that it wasn't as I expected but after a little while I called the doctor and luckily Elizabeth and Emma were here with me helping out so, Elizabeth, myself, Will and Emma all piled into my car and went to visit the doctor! After taking a look at my eye, she said that the rod had broken and that we were going to have to go through another surgery....so another one was scheduled for October 8, 2007! After this 2nd surgery, things have seemed to be much better - recovery has been wonderful - at least much better than after the first one! The main thing that I'm dealing with right now is just the dry eyes and this is bearable most of the time! I returned back to work on October 22, 2007 and have been having to catch up with lots of work so I'm trying to take it easy and just do a little at a time! I've posted a picture of me after the first surgery and the second one just so you can see the differences - still not looking wonderful but it's getting there! I can't wear make-up yet so I'm looking forward to the day that I can again so I can get some color back to my face! :) It's kind of nice not to have to wear it also because it takes much less time in getting ready for work in the mornings without it! ;)



After September 24, 2007 Surgery



After October 8, 2007 Surgery

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's neat seeing these photos - looking good! You are the kind of person whose eyes are always open - to the beauty of the world, the beauty in people, to God's direction, and to the needs of others. You are a beautiful person, Mary Matheson - and not just because I'm your mom :)! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and emotions along with the great photos of all the good times you have! We are so blessed to have you, Rick and Will in our lives. I do love each of you! Momma